Winter Maintenance to Stay Reliable and Comfortable
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, which means it’s also beginning to look a lot like dangerous travel conditions. Winter is no joke here in Central IL and Central IN. We may not get the most snowfall in the country, but the looming threat is always there, and the temperatures can be just as cold as anywhere. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to BE PREPARED. Extra gloves, warm hats, rain jackets, thicker blankets, and more clothes are great ideas to help keep you warm on bad days. Don’t forget about some extra food in the truck in case disaster strikes.
But what about the truck??? Your equipment gets cold and fragile in extra cold weather too. It is a common temptation to skip the pre or post trip inspection when its frigid outside, but please don’t fall into that trap. The bitter cold wreaks havoc on these machines as it does our bodies. It’s just as important to pay attention to them this time of year so it doesn’t leave you stranded. Pre-trip and post-trip inspections are always important. Hopefully they are being done every day but if you find yourself skipping one occasionally, please do not. The best way for you stay productive and making money is to keep the truck happy.
- Make sure to keep fluids topped off and use anti-gel in your fuel tanks. We have fluids and gels readily available for you at any of our shops.
- DEF is available at all terminals and they have heaters so the liquid flows faster. Get your DEF here if you can.
- Stop by Decatur for a quick hose off. No need to let the salt and grime build up for a month.
- Clean off your roll tarp systems more frequently in the winter.
- You can override the idle shutoff by tapping the accelerator 3 times.